Monday, July 25, 2011

La Trinidad!

So, my dear friends and family, I apologize for the lack of posts. My host family doesn't have internet, and I have been so busy that I am just now finding an internet cafe (a 2 minute walk from my house!). I'll do my best to sum up what has happened over the past 9 days. As I write this, the sound of jeepneys buzzing by and off-key singers at the videoke bar next door fill my ears. So forgive me if my mind wanders!
Last Sunday we took our seven hour drive from Cavite to La Trinidad. We left at 4:45am, and if you know anything about me... well, you know what that was like. I stole the whole back seat and sprawled my body across it. What a brat. But whatever. When I wasn't sleeping, I was looking out the windows and my GOODNESS! At one point we were climbing a mountain for over an hour. Uphill, uphill, uphill. When you looked over the side, all you could see was fog. We were so high, we had disappeared into the clouds. Craaazy! Our group took three bathroom breaks. I didn't want to tell them the Keys family could have done it in one :) We arrived in La Trinidad to smiling faces of our host families, which was pretty cool. I am now the oldest of four, daughter Lily, 22, who lives away from home, son RJ, 15, and son Romy (aka Asi), 10. Asi has been my personal language tutor. He helps me make flash cards and I let him play with my build-a-bear that he named "Mr. Green."
Every day we have Ilokano lessons from 8-12, and 1-5. I go to my house for lunch, because it is about 100 yards away from where we have our sessions. I get to leave at 7:59. Nevertheless I am with a family of early risers. Breakfast is always at 6:15, but don't worry- I've already been up for over an hour thanks to the 5 am roosters outside my window. Oh boy. Many more stories, but I better get going to dinner. I'll try to post tomorrow because there is MUCH to talk about! Thank you for all the comments and emails! I love them!

6 Comments:

At July 26, 2011 at 7:57 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

That rooster wouldn't last outside my window after I fetched Lucy and Tessa after it. Come to think of it they haven't kept the squirrel out of my garden, but like last year, he only nibbles on a few green tomatoes. The cuke plants are taller than me, and I picked one for yesterdays salad. Lettuce has been from the garden for the last week. Anyway, you seem to have a great situation there and Asi sounds like a real fun teacher for you! Dad

 
At July 27, 2011 at 8:52 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Becky,
Great hearing of your adventure! I think the language barrier would freak me out, but sounds like you're doing great adapting. It's great having internet so close to where you are. As far as that rooster, I agree with your Dad, I'd probably throw something at it! Have fun...
Sharon

 
At July 29, 2011 at 7:00 AM , Anonymous lisa Keys said...

we love you Becky and enjoy reading your blog--hope you will teach all how to bake your awesome chocolate chip cookies. We love you.

aunt Lisa & Uncle Bill

 
At August 1, 2011 at 3:41 AM , Blogger Patti Dente said...

Hi Becky, Glad to hear from you...how convenient to have access to internet so close by....and the video bar next store sounds like a popular place. Well sounds like you are settling into your new home, and how great that you have your own built in tutor... What are the parents like ? Oh yes Mamme a huge change for you now with the early risers and wow that must be difficult being a night person, Now for that rooster I don't know girl it does get some real getting use too. My neighbor in Cross River 2 houses from us has a rooster, but he was always off schedule he would crow in the middle of the night and but then guaranteed you would here him start around 4:30 am so yeah even with the windows closed that sound always pierced through the walls....

 
At August 8, 2011 at 7:37 PM , Anonymous susan piercey said...

ok beck- here i go, evan just put this on my computer- i hope it finds the bread crumbs to your wee hut in the wilde! - anyway - i think of you so proud, gosh how great - ! - i have been trying to find my way here, yesterday i went riding there is a bike trail i think it starts in carmel and goes to the bronx- i say think because it may begins past carmel and go beyond the bronx- when i ride think and think - dreaming, but then end up going further then i realize, and as you know you've got to get back to where you started- but it's just me, no else shouting in my ear saying why did you go this far! - are you known by another name in your new universe? keep exploring- keep smiling- we need it! i sure do hope this gets to you, i suppose this is the only way to communicate so i will get better at it, if i am doing this correct. if there is another way, just let me know. - i guess texting is not there? kerry and wayne are in vermont, wednesday i am going to pick ashley up in ct and bring her to vermont, they will all be going to maine on friday- i've been volunteering in the childcare area in the domestic violence office-(my sister's place)in yonkers, i have to go this morning, i have gotten lost each time i have gone, it gets sooooooo confusing - i'm consistent though, i get lost going home- oh well - until the next. love you - susy

 
At August 21, 2011 at 7:39 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Becky, Just wanted to send you a big thank you! I did a little detective work reading the blogs. I discovered a while ago my son was part of your group (the language). You are a wonderful, descriptive writer and such a positive sounding person. It was great getting to find out about La T and PC life through your blogs! Best wishes on your placement, your sunshine brightens everyone's day and will take you far. Hope the sunrise was glorious. Best wishes Mrs. S : )

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home