Tuesday, August 23, 2011

European Sparrows and English Affixes

Language class was hilarious today. We were learning parts of the body and how to say if you were sick or if a certain part hurts, etc. Basically we let our imaginations run wild and it was a blast. It was a nice change of pace from the usual lessons. So funny. At one point, Monty Python and the Holy Grail came up (The part where the knight gets his arms and legs chopped off- "Come over 'ere, I'll bite your legs off!"), and I turned to my friend Julia and said we should translate the classic line with the man at the toll bridge.

ANIA ti nagan mo?
ANIA ti paboritom nga kolor?
ANIA ti air velocity nga European sparrow?

There you go! That's your Ilokano quote of the day. Anyways, after that, we had an "English blackout" session, which is when you cannot speak any English; only Ilokano. The four of us and our teacher hopped on a jeepney and went to Baguio to go to the market! We were on a mission for... well, actually, I can't say. There are PCT's from other clusters who might see this blog post, and I'm sworn to secrecy. Here's the thing: for our swearing-in ceremony in September, each cluster will be doing a presentation of some sort about their training site or something Philippines related. Ours is AWESOME. But unfortunately, my friends, it's top secret until it will be unveiled. At that time there will be some awesome photos to post.

The market was great; we got what we needed and then had lunch at Chow King, which is my new favorite fast food (but not really fast food) place. The funny thing about fast food places, ice cream shops, etc here is that the employees bus all of your trays, plates, cups, and all! Everytime I go somewhere to bring my things over to the garbage bin, I am stopped by an employee, "Yes, ma'am!" (smile), who takes it from me. It seems very strange to me, because my automatic reaction to eating anywhere is to just take it all from the table and throw it away myself, but not here. I definitely feel uncomfortable leaving my trash there, but it's normal to do so. I guess that's just one of the cultural differences to get used to.

Yesterday I had the best time at school! My counterpart was absent, so I taught the entire class! Soooo fun! I had already planned ahead with her, and I did prep work outside of class, so being able to execute the whole thing on my own was awesome. It was a third year English class, so 14-15 year olds. We did prefixes and suffixes, which let me tell you, was a blast. Seriously. It was so fun. I'd like to think they enjoyed it too. They were all really engaged, and everyone was paying attention for the most part, compared to what they're usually like... Ohmygosh it was so fun. I wish I could do it again tomorrow and Friday, because those are our last two days co-teaching here. But even if it doesn't happen, I'll always have that day to remember!

My host dad was reading the local newspaper today and I realized how devoid I am of reality back in the States. I have no idea what is going on with anything. Pretty bad of me to not keep up, however I have a feeling that not much has changed. People are probably still criticizing our President, children are still going missing, lawsuits are happening left and right, big companies are still corrupt, and Lindsay Lohan is back in rehab for the ump-teenth time. I hate to sound like a pessimist, but I think one reason I've been avoiding the news is because it always seems to be bad news. And I'm a big fan of positive energy, so it tends to cramp my style. If something great happens, let me know. Until then, I'm going to continue being happily oblivious.

5 Comments:

At August 24, 2011 at 6:58 AM , Blogger jlk9872 said...

Im loving the posts Beck!
Ni shenme mingzi?
Ni tai xihuan shenme yanse?
Feng velocity speed de yingguo swallow shi shenme?

Wo Hai mei si (I'm not dead yet) of course "si" is in 3rd tone(falling then rising), if you said it in fourth tone(falling) you would say "Im not 4 yet."

So much cool stuff. Awesome pics from your sunrise summiting. I wont tell the pups.

Busing tables was the same deal with trays in HK, just leave all your junk there. I felt like a slob and only sorta got used to it by the end of my stay.

Keep being awesome and happily oblivious!

 
At August 25, 2011 at 12:14 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Boy, it sure doesn't sound like the 14-15 year olds at Gates, a much more difficult environment to teach in. So its really great that you are having an enthusiastic bunch of students to teach. I used to really enjoy teaching lab as an undergrad and later as a grad student, because there were students in each that I knew were really engaged in the work trying to soak it all in. I would spend just a little extra effort to give them hints and clues so they could make their own 'discoveries'. It would be fun to sometimes see their aha! moments of understanding.

Great blogs and pics, thanks for spending so much time keeping us in the loop. DK

 
At August 26, 2011 at 9:46 AM , Blogger Patti Dente said...

again like I said before you should write a BOOK ...love all your descriptive explanations of your day and the REACTIONS how awesome to teach your own solo class. I am sure you will have other opportunities down the road to be on your own teaching solo anyway sounds like you have a great plan all set with your teaching and like you said the students seem responsive which is awesome....Danananan the suspense is very intriguing about you top secret mission.. gee 007 Becky Mame...just have to be checking in for updates... Yes well you are right the news is basically the same...the big talk is the Hurricane Irene riding up the East Coast..so we'll all know by the end of the weekend how flooded out we get...anyway Little girl so great to hear everything is going so well.. love Aunt Patti

 
At August 26, 2011 at 9:37 PM , Anonymous Maureen Keys said...

hey girl it's Aunt Patti I just finish re-setting up a blog for your Mom she said she has been trying to respond to your Blog Post but has not been unsuccessful on being able to post a comment. so hopefully what I did will work, so I am posting this message as a test so that's why you see her name at the top of this post and so she can see what I did and be able to start posting comments to you.....Love Aunt Patti

 
At September 3, 2011 at 11:02 PM , Blogger erikafromamerica said...

hee hee hee hee i love the necessary secrecy- and being apart of it! MWAA HAA HAAA!!! SUCKAS! Everyone should be extremly excited for the suprise!

Oh and my mom had the same problem with comments as your mom-haha, cute

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home