Friday, September 9, 2011

Village People and Binge Eating

Some people may think these two topics wouldn't typically cross paths. But as I sit here typing away, 'YMCA' just came on the pop radio station. And in about 20 minutes I'm off to our cluster for some final wrap-up things and a HEAVY merienda/lunch/binge session. Merienda can consist of coffee and bread, all the way to heaping plates of pasta + sticky rice + cake + juice + pinik pikan + everything under the Filipino sun. Our cluster site is next to this wonderful woman's house, who always brings out coffee and is so nice... today she is having a big merienda/lunch ordeal, and I have a feeling that I will have a distended stomach once it's over. Ever seen those pictures of starving children with big bellies? Well, they have Kwashiorkor, a disease stemming from malnutrition. In my case, it will be the complete opposite. Excited? You betcha.

Yesterday my friend and I walked around town for 3 and 1/2 hours! We went to the strawberry farms, the market, and all the way back. Got some pasalubong (gifts) for our host families, and enjoyed the warm, sunny weather. So so nice. Had our language proficiency interviews after that, and later on went out to dinner as a big group. Pretty awesome. I split a dessert with my friend, and once it was finished, there was just TOO much syrup and deliciousness left on the plate that... well... the whole table dared me to lick it clean. Needless to say, now there are some sweet pictures of me and that plate. Good times.

K gotta run! Time for another sunny day in rainy season!

3 Comments:

At September 10, 2011 at 10:08 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read on-line that these merienda are the equivalent of an afternoon coffee break or maybe more like English tea time. That sure doesn't sound typical of these merienda feasts you are having. And then everyone has dinner later? Wow!

 
At September 10, 2011 at 8:52 PM , Blogger erikafromamerica said...

I loved walking around with you!

 
At September 18, 2011 at 10:02 PM , Blogger Patti Dente said...

Hi Becky Congratulations on the swearing in ceremony your Mom sent me the video I must say yes your Aunt Patti Proudly cried as They announced your name and saw you standing up with the other volunteers I am so proud of you Becky way to go girl..... now I know I've always called you little girl... but you'll always be Aunt Patti's little girl even when you lick your plate clean

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home